100 years after Domaine René Engel’s foundation, 1156 bottles, magnums, jeroboams and 1 methuselah, originating directly from the Domaine’s underground vaulted cellar and spread over 168 lots, will be offered at auction on Sunday June 16th, 2019 at Hotel Beau-Rivage in Geneva. This historic sale to be held by Baghera wines is an unique opportunity to acquire the very last bottles from the Domaine and to pay an ultimate tribute to René, Pierre and Philippe Engel, a trilogy of pioneers and passionate winemakers, who each left their mark on Burgundy’s fine wines’ history.
Despite little public awareness of the name, Domaine René Engel is widely acclaimed by seasoned amateurs and wine specialists and is regarded by many as one of the top Burgundian domaines. Founded by René Engel in 1919, the Domaine is located in Vosne-Romanée at the very heart of the Bourgogne viticole. Between 1919 and 2004, three men – René, Pierre and Philippe – succeeded each other, from father to son, to run the family’s vineyard, which includes some of the most prestigious Burgundian crus. For 85 years, these three distinctive characters individually imprinted their marks to the wines, constantly striving and exploring the uniqueness of their terroir and seeking to improve the age-gold tradition. Thanks to their active involvement in the Burgundian wine community, these three men contributed to the recognition and reputation of the distinctive quality of the great wines from Burgundy throughout the world.
1157 bottles, magnums, jeroboams and methuselas | Split into 168 lots | Vintages from 1921 to 2004 | 5 climats — Vosne-Romanée, — Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Brulées, — Grands-Échezeaux Grand Cru, — Échezeaux Grand Cru, — Clos-Vougeot Grand Cru | 321 bottles and magnums, Vosne-Romanée from 1921 to 2004 | 210 bottles, magnums and jeroboams, Vosne-Romanée Les Brulées from 1983 to 2004 | 159 bottles and magnums, Echezeaux from 1922 to 2004 | 307 bottles and magnums, Grands-Echezeaux from 1922 to 2004 | 160 bottles, magnums, jeroboams and methuselah, Clos-Vougeot from 1923 to 2004.