The phrase “as good as gold” is an adage for something exceptional – a medal, a trophy or tiny bubbles in a golden glass of champagne.
Recent gold wins for Boschendal’s MCCs:
- International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC): Gold for the Boschendal Grande Cuvée Brut 2013
- National Wine Challenge / Top 100 SA Wines : Top 100 and Double Platinum status for the Jean Le Long Prestige Cuvee 2007
- Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show : Gold for the Jean Le Long Prestige Cuvèe Blanc de Blanc 2007
- Amorim MCC Challenge 2017: Gold for the Jean Le Long Prestige Cuvèe Blanc de Blanc 2007
- Amorim MCC Challenge 2017: Gold for the Boschendal Brut Rosé NV
Boschendal’s MCCs are on a gold winning streak, with a succession of accolades testifying to the sparkling wines’ exceptional quality and craftsmanship. The latest wins at the International Wine and Spirit Competition, Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show and Amorim MCC Challenge prove the estate effortlessly contends with the top wines in the world.
Lizelle Gerber, Boschendal’s acclaimed white wine and MCC maker, says the awards mean a great deal, “These competitions set the benchmark for premium vintages worldwide. With esteemed judging panels comprising some of the globe’s foremost sommeliers, viticulturists and suppliers, it’s an honour to know our MCCs are up there with the best.”
Good things take time and Boschendal’s bubbles are no exception. The effervescent elixirs take years to perfect, with an intensive crafting process that starts in the vineyard. The time honoured traditional Méthode Champenois method involves extended lees contact that’s critical to ensure a balanced, creamy mouth feel, with elegant minerality and a seamless finish.
For Gerber, the popping of a bottle of bubbles is the ultimate sound of celebration – a sound that makes all the hard work worthwhile. However, she’s a big fan of sipping MCCs on everyday occasions as well. “The Boschendal Grande Cuvée Brut is a particular favourite because its fresh green apple, citrus and discreet biscotti notes pair so beautifully with smoked salmon or a cream cheese and chive breakfast. For me, there’s no better start to a day.”