Diageo SA is pleased to announce that after receiving 620 entries into its 10th annual Responsible Drinking Media Awards (RDMAs), the 2022 finalists have been selected.
The RDMAs is an initiative by leading spirits company, Diageo South Africa, to recognise media content that focuses on various aspects of alcohol in society, including the problem of misuse and interventions against it.
Topics include issues such as alcohol policy, drunk driving, underage drinking, foetal alcohol syndrome, binge drinking, and alcohol-related violence. Any published material on any media platform that aims to support these is then eligible to enter the awards and win a prize.
Judged by a broad mix of media professionals, the 2022 judging panel consisted of the chairperson of the South African National Editors Forum (SANEF), Sibusiso Ngalwa; award-winning journalist and media leader, Mary Papayya; the chairperson of the African Editors Forum, Jovial Rantao; award-winning broadcast journalist and senior news anchor, Cathy Mohlahlana; the secretary general of SANEF with more than 22 years of print and broadcast experience, Mahlatse Mahlase; multiple award-winning broadcast anchor, Leanne Manas; and Sibani Mngadi, corporate relations director at Diageo SA who led the alcohol industry campaign against Covid-19 restrictions in his capacity as chair of SA Liquor Brandowners Association (SALBA).
“As we celebrate a decade of the RDMAs, it is still so encouraging to see the multiple topics in the media promoting responsible drinking and discussing the role of alcohol in society. We want to thank all of the journalists who entered this year and wish all the finalists, good luck,” Sibani Mngadi.
The 2022 finalists have been announced as follows:
- Best Newspaper (Commercial) – Nivashni Nair & Graeme Hosken (Sunday Times), Sandisiwe Shoba (Daily Maverick) and Ufrieda Ho (Daily Maverick)
- Best Newspaper (Community) – Nielen de Klerk (The TygerBurger), Samantha Lee-Jacobs (People’s Post) and Shahied Joseph (Atlantic Sun)
- Best Magazine – Lisa Lottering (WineLand Media), Christian Eedes (WineMag) and Wanda Augustyn (WineLand Media)
- Best TV – Kate Barry (Carte Blanche), Wandile Mofokeng (SABC 2, Vital Signs) and Lethiwe Mdluli (eNCA)
- Best Online – Ufrieda Ho (Daily Maverick), Tanya Farber (Sunday Times Live) and Anton Pretorius (WineLand Media)
- Best Radio (Commercial) – Jody Hendricks (RSG), Sara-Jayne King (Cape Talk) and Pippa Hudson (Cape Talk)
- Best Radio (Community) – Saziso Dlamini (Ugu Youth Radio) and Faizel Patel (Radio Islam)
- Alcohol Policy Award – Pippa Hudson (Cape Talk), Katharine Child (Financial Mail) and Charmaine Naidoo (Mail & Guardian)
- Influential Voice Award – Jana Marx (Media 24), Lisa Lottering (WineLand Media) and Wanda Augustyn (WineLand Media)
There will also be an award for Journalist of the Year for the overall best entry. Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony tomorrow (31st March) and stand the chance of winning up to R50 000.
For more information on the awards and to follow the newsfeed, visit the RDMA website.
Diageo is a global spirits leader with an outstanding portfolio of brands consisting of Johnnie Walker, J&B, Bell’s and various single malt whiskies, Smirnoff and Cîroc vodkas, Tanqueray gin, Captain Morgan rum and Don Julio tequila.
WATCH: Diageo Responsible Drinking Media Awards