The Corona pandemic has reached South Africa. Given the absence of effective healthcare for many South Africans and those living and working there, fear is a natural reaction. While there is no vaccination and no medication to fight the virus, you are not as helpless as you think.
In fact, there are many things you can do to strengthen yourself and your loved ones even without access to effective healthcare. We put together recommendations from the German and Swiss healthcare systems that were issued to doctors to cope with the pandemic. In addition, we looked up methods from Natural Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine which are at no or very low cost. Here is what you can do in this situation:
The most important thing is to remember that while the situation is serious and the majority of us will be infected, most cases will have no or light flue-like symptoms. While the whole situation is very serious, severe cases are the exception! The media present the worst parts of the Corona pandemic, which raises feelings of sadness and fear while ignoring this fact: Children, pregnant women and people without pre- existing health condition will be fine! It is very unlikely that they will experience severe symptoms.
Here is how you can prevent an infection
- Keep a distance of at least 2 meters from others.
- Sneeze into your armpit and never into your hands.
- Wash your hands with soap regularly for 20 seconds and always before touching food.
- Do not touch your face because the virus can enter into your body via nose, mouth and eyes.
Here is how you can support and strengthen your body
- Avoid milk products except for butter and cream as a virus benefits from milk protein in the intestines.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables (Vitamin C).
- Avoid fast food.
- Drink hot water regularly – add ginger or turmeric and lemon if possible.
- Keep hydrated.
- Reflexology: regularly massage the soles of your feet (all organs of the body benefit) and the area under your collarbone (the lungs benefit).
Here is how you can strengthen your whole being
- Research shows that fear and sadness suppress our immune systems, while emotions of love, gratitude and trust is a real immune booster. Take this evidence seriously and consciously choose love over fear. It is easy to be swept away with the collective fear in this crisis, especially when consuming regular or social media. Make a conscious decision to distance yourself from these media.
- Connect with your loved ones, colleagues and neighbours instead. Create an atmosphere of mutual support. We are all in this together and we help each other. Remember: this situation will pass.
- Make music, sing, listen to your favourite music. While this is fun, it does support your immune system.
- Lockdowns are an extremely stressful situation. While your body is staying put, your imagination is still free. Which stories do you remember from your childhood, from your family? What are your greatest dreams? What do you wish for yourself and for the people in your life? Share this with others.
- Pray from your heart and trust in getting the help you are asking for.
When having symptoms
- Stay calm. This is a natural and healthy reaction of your immune system to get rid of the virus. Millions of years of evolution have granted us with this process because no virus can survive above 40 degrees Celsius. Therefore, work with the fever and not against it. Stay hydrated. Make sure you or the person you are looking after is drinking enough water, herbal tea and soup during this episode. Rest, be peaceful and trust in the healing process.
The original article appears here