South African producers once again displayed their international clout at the recent Internation Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) in London. SA producers walked away with several accolades, including the trophy for the best Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvignon, bottle fermented sparkling wine and Chenin Blanc. Not surprisingly, old stalwart KWV claimed the Worldwide Brandy Trophy with their KWV 15 Potstill Brandy. .
Kanonkop Wine Estate also deserves a special mention for winning the Pinotage Trophy with their Black Label Pinotage 2013, as well as being the South African Wine Producer of the Year. Abrie Beeselaar was also announced as the Internation Winemaker of the Year.
Gold Outstanding 2017 trophies were awarded to:
- Fleur Du Cap Unfiltered Merlot 2014
- Jordan Wine Estate Nine Yards Chardonnay 2015
- Kanonkop Black Label Pinotage 2013
- Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
- Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
- Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
- KWV 15 Potstill Brandy
- Mainstay 54 Vodka
- Nederburg II Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
- Nederburg Private Bin Edelkeur 2013
- Oude Meester Souverein 18 YO Potstill Brandy
- Plaisir De Merle Grand Brut 2014
- Russian Bear Vodka
- Spier 21 Gables Pinotage 2014
- Stellenrust 52 Barrel fermented Chenin Blanc (Stellenbosch Manor) 2016
- Van Ryn’s 20 YO Collector’s Reserve
Full results can be seen at https://www.iwsc.net.