The Ultra Value Wine Challenge 2018/19 assists consumers in finding the very best wine buys for under R100 per bottle. The Challenge continues to attract strong support, both existing and new, from quality producers and vineyards who have built a reputation for, and who feature, great-value wines.
Overhex Wines International, the Worcester based wine industry trail blazer, has made a clean sweep with awards across its premium wines including two gold medals in the 2018/19 Ultra Value Wine Challenge.
Top of the pops in the gold medal stakes are the suave Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 from the innovative new Mensa range, and the jovial and fruity Balance Classic Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon 2018.
Now in its 4th year, the Ultra Value Wine Challenge judges wines according their value proposition taking quality and price into consideration. The objective is to provide wine lovers with a fine tuned selection of wines that have passed the competition’s stringent value for money test.
“We are delighted to have been awarded no less than 10 accolades this year. It is once again an indicator of our success as a premium wine company that focuses on quality across all price points,” says Gerhard van der Wath, owner and chairman of Overhex Wines International.
Their newest innovation, Mensa, has just been released as the first South African wine supported by an augmented reality app, taking consumer engagement to the next level. When scanned using the Mensa Wine App on a smartphone, the label comes to life as a book revealing the full story of the wine. Launched as the ultimate book club wine, Mensa also sports the convenient Amorim Helix closure that can be twisted open and resealed by hand.
Balance, the easy drinking Overhex range, resonates with life’s lighter moments offering a wide selection of wines for every taste.
Mensa and Balance wines are available countrywide and can be purchased online or at the Overhex Winery & Bistro outside Worcester. The Mensa Cabernet Sauvignon sells at a cellar door at R85 per bottle while the price of the Balance Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon is R47.
The top 14 highest-scoring wines
1. Stettyn Cellar – Stettyn Stone White 2018. 98/100
2. Fairview – Fairview La Capra Merlot 2017. 98/100
3. Ken Forrester Wines – Petit Cabernet Sauvignon 2017. 96/100
4. Orange River Cellars – Colombard 2018. 96/100
5. Nicholson Smith Agencies – Pandoras Box Bell Pepper Cab Sav NV. 96/100
6. Robertson Winery – Beaukett 2018. 95/100
7. Rhebokskloof Wine Estate – Hillside White 2018. 95/100
8. Louisvale Wines – Stone Road Merlot 2016. 95/100
9. Allée Bleue Wines – Starlette Shiraz Rosé 2018. 94/100
10. Opstal Wines Sixpence Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon 2018. 93/100
11. Darling Cellars – Black Granite Shiraz 2017. 93/100
12. Ridgeback Wines – Lion Hound Cabernet Sauvignon 2017. 93/100
13. Alvi’s Drift Private Cellar – Alvi’s Drift Signature Pinotage Rosé 2018. 93/100
14. Namaqua Wines – Namaqua Cape Vintage 2017. 93/100