Every year the South African wine industry celebrates a special occasion in early February to honour the birth of the industry in South Africa, to ask for a blessing on the new harvest, and to showcase and pay tribute to the trailblazers in the wine industry – with the presentation of the prestigious 1659-Award for Visionary Leadership to a significant SA wine icon.
The annual Wine Harvest Commemorative event traditionally took place at South Africa’s oldest wine estate, Groot Constantia, which was established in 1685 by the then Governor, Simon van der Stel.
WATCH: Wine Harvest Commemorative Event 2020 | 1659 Award for Visionary Leadership
However, Covid-19 has certainly changed the landscape for public events and in 2021 this highly anticipated black-tie event, which is one of the highlights on the South African wine calendar, will be shared as a virtual event on 2 February at 19:00.
This year’s event also sees the addition of three new awards categories which have been launched to honour a further three significant people for their contribution to our industry. These new categories are: Diversity and Transformation; Wine Appreciation and Wine Advancement; and Viticulture and Wine Creation.
SPECIAL CONSUMER AWARENESS CAMPAIGN: 2-12 FEBRUARY
Also – new for 2021 – we hope that you will join us to create awareness of the birth of the South Africa’s wine industry from Tuesday 2 February to Friday 12 February through an innovative consumer awareness campaign. Worth noting with a sense of pride is that we are the only country in the world that can accurately pinpoint the date which marks the beginning of our wine industry: 2 February 1659.
We urge you to celebrate this special day, by:
- harnessing the power of your social media presence and point-of-sale in your tasting room/sales area through our media kit which will be provided to you (free of charge);
- sharing the link to the virtual event with your staff, suppliers, fans, followers and wine-loving public far and wide across South Africa and internationally;
- invite the public to visit your farm, buy your wine and get to know your own unique harvest story and commemorate with you the birth of the South African wine industry;
- encourage winelovers to share their experience interacting with your brand with hashtag #sawineharvest2021 to win prizes;
- promote your tasting experiences, including pairings with wine, chocolate, food and other flavours.
We are excited by the upcoming harvest season – particularly after a tough year – and look forward to celebrating it with the rest of the industry, as well as the public.
For more information on how to take part and to send us your own ideas on how to make this year’s consumer event a success, please contact Carmen Lerm at email@example.com and ask for more information on #sawineharvest2021.