Plan herbicide programme as well as spring fertiliser and spraying programmes and place the necessary product orders. Adhere strictly to the IPW guidelines.
|VINEYARD PROGRAMMECalibrate spraying pump and fertiliser sprayer.
- The ideal is to final prune in one action as late as possible, approximately 3 – 4 weeks before bud burst. Vines in frost prone areas may be final pruned at bud swell.
- If budding stimulants are applied 3 – 5 weeks before bud burst, a good synergistic interaction is obtained if the pruning (in one action) and application of budding stimulants are timed as close as possible to each other.
Herbicide and/or cultivation
- Select the correct product to control weeds on the berm depending on the type and vigour of weeds.
- If pre-emergence herbicides are used, be fully aware of the requirements for successful control as well as the accompanying dangers in some instances.
- Cover crops should be sprayed and then preferably flattened to ensure the best retention of dry matter, especially under dry winter and dry land conditions.
- In wet years cover crops may be allowed to grow and die back naturally to absorb excessive water from the soil.
Planting of vines
- Attempt to finish planting before the end of August if soil water content allows.
- Keep replacement vines on hand in plastic bags for use this year in instances where vines did not take.
- A fertilisation programme should be drawn up for each block on the farm in collaboration with a fertiliser expert and/or viticultural consultant.
- If chicken manure is used as fertiliser, now is the right time for application.
- Do maintenance work and chloronisation on irrigation system.
- Supplement soils to field capacity before budding, except in instances where a deficit irrigation strategy is followed.
Contact Gert van Wyk for information about:
Viability, cost and profitability analyses.
Presentations on the economics of wine grape cultivation, industry overview, etc.
Budgets and financial planning in the light of production cost, establishment cost and other industry parameters.
Participation in the production plan/study groups.
Compiled by: VinPro Consultation Service
For more information contact Annamarie van Onselen at (021) 807-3027
Motto: Cutting edge advice for sustainable wine production
Value begins in the vineyard… VinPro Consultation Service