Plan your spring fertilisation programme, irrigation scheduling strategy and book contractor for soils that have to be prepared in December/January.
Spring fertilisation if required
- On mature vines according to leaf and soil analyses and vigour.
- On young vines where vine development takes place and strong vigour is required.
- In producing vineyards the last instalments must be applied before flowering.
- Suckering actions must be completed before flowering.
- The timing of folding in and positioning of shoots is very important, do not fall behind with programme.
- Regular tipping actions are more beneficial than rigorous topping actions.
- Tip shoots (‘uitskieterlote’) to promote even shoot growth.
- For quality cultivation, bunches on weak shoots (<80 cm) may be removed early (at pea berry stage) to improve shoot growth.
Disease and pest control
- Preventive control for Oidium as well as Downy mildew if wet weather conditions occur.
- Monitor pests before considering chemical control.
- If weeds become problematic, it is preferable to use registered scalding products.
- Focus on the berms (‘bankies’) in particular to ensure that they are weed-free during the harvest.
- Water consumption only increases from set onwards, and especially from pea berry stage.
- Monitor soil water content and moisture stress symptoms in the vine.
- If excessive growth occurs, and/or in premium red wine blocks, especially in the period between pea berry stage and vraison, deficit irrigation may be applied.
- Green shoot development on first to third leaf vines to form trunk, cordons and bearers.
- Crop control in young vines is very important to ensure the life-span of good vines.
- If dry, drag or roll flat – do not use shrub beater or disc.
Contact Gert van Wyk for information about:
Viability, cost and profitability analyses.
Participation in production plan/financial study groups (financial overview or industry branch analyses).
Economic and industry related articles.
Economic and industry related presentations.
Collection and dissemination of representative agricultural economic industry information.
Compiled by: VinPro Consultation Service
For more information contact Annamarie van Onselen at (021) 807-3027.
Motto: Cutting edge advice for sustainable wine production