Photo Caption: 2020 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year Finalists (Back L to R): Alexander Grier (Villiera), Matthew Krone (Matthew Krone Wines) and Stephan de Beer (Twee Jonge Gezellen). (Front L to R): Johan Malan (Simonsig) and Jasper Raats (Longridge)
The finalists for the 40th Diners Club Winemaker and 20th Young Winemaker of the Year awards have been announced. Five winemakers have been shortlisted to compete for the prestigious Winemaker of the Year award, while five will vie for the Young Winemaker of the Year title.
The 2020 Diners Club Winemaker and Young Winemaker of the Year finalists are:
Winemaker of the Year category: Cap Classique
- Alexander Grier – Villiera Wines for his Tradition Brut (NV)
- Jasper Raats – Longridge Wine Estate for his Longridge Brut (NV)
- Johan Malan – Simonsig Wines for his 2015 Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel Brut and 2010 Simonsig Kaapse Vonkel Brut
- Matthew Krone – Matthew Krone Wines for his 2017 Alexandra de la Marque
- Stephan De Beer – Twee Jonge Gezellen Estate for his 2017 Krone Borealis Vintage Cuvée Brut
Young Winemaker of the Year category: Red Wines
- Eben Meiring – Boekenhoutskloof for his 2018 Patina Syrah
- Juandre Bruwer – Diemersdal for his 2019 Diemersdal Shiraz
- Karlin Nel – Vrede en Lust for her 2017 Vrede en Lust Artisan Cabernet Franc
- Natasha Williams – Bosman Family Vineyards for her 2018 Twyfeling Cinsaut
- Phillip Theron – Glen Carlou for his 2018 Glen Carlou Collection Tanat and 2019 Malbec
The winners of both the Winemaker and the Young Winemaker of the Year awards will be presented at a black-tie gala dinner at La Residence Hotel in Franschhoek in November 2020. The winning winemaker receives R50 000 and the Young Winemaker R25 000.