Neck to neck or is it bottle to bottle – so fierce is the battle between the top 20 finalists in this year’s Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 competition. The top 20 candidates include eleven wines from the 2020 vintage versus nine from the 2021 vintage.
On top of that, the top 20 wines originate from many diverse wine regions. Several wines appear for the first time on the list of top 20 finalists representing innovation and diversity in the styles of Sauvignon Blanc in South Africa.
A total of 96 producers entered 157 wines for this competition, which since 2007 is the only South African competition dedicated exclusively to Sauvignon Blanc. It is presented under the auspices of Sauvignon Blanc South Africa with the support of FNB and EVER Solutions.
The top 20 finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
- Anthonij Rupert Cape of Good Hope Altima Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Bellevue Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- D’Aria The Songbird Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2021
- Flagstone Free Run Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Franschhoek Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Groot Phesantekraal Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- KWV Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Le Grand Domaine The Pledge Our Darling Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Le Grand Domaine The Pledge Our Darling Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Maastricht Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Nitida Wild Child 2020 (wooded)
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Stark-Condé Round Mountain Sauvignon Blanc 2020 (wooded)
- Steenberg The Black Swan Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Thelema Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Thelema Sutherland Sauvignon Blanc 2020
A panel of leading wine experts judged this year’s competition with Cape Wine Master Dr Winifred Bowman as convener. Along with Dr Bowman on the panel were Charles Hopkins, cellar master of De Grendel, wine judge and author Fiona McDonald, Rüdger van Wyk, winemaker of Stark-Condé Wines, Johann Fourie, chief winemaker of Benguela Cove, as well as two Cape Winemakers Guild Protégés, Kelsey Shungking of Mullineux and Leeu and Victoria Davis of Boekenhoutskloof.
Do not miss the Top 10 announcement
The Top 10 will be announced on Wednesday 13 October 2021 during the Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 Awards as well as on the websitewww.sauvignonblanc.com and on social media. Join the conversation with #SauvignonBlancSATop10 and follow Sauvignon Blanc SA on Twitter as @SauvignonSA and on Facebook and Instagram as @sauvignonblancsa.
Sauvignon Blanc SA promotes South African Sauvignon Blanc’s quality locally and internationally. Anyone can become a member of Sauvignon Blanc SA to enjoy the benefits of shared expertise. A technical seminar that conveys information about the Top 10, will be held on Wednesday 17 November 2021 in Franschhoek. For more information, or to subscribe to the Sauvignon Blanc SA newsletter, visit www.sauvignonblanc.com or call 021 975 4440.